Monday, February 15, 2016

01 January 2016... A slippery start

I intended to write on a regular basis this 2016, but fate has its way of redirecting/delaying some of our plans. Right after new year, which is the first day of 2016, my 7 year old super sporty daughter, broke her shinbone.
We were supposed to sleep earlier than usual, we were done brushing our teeth and I am just waiting for my husband, Kathrin, as usual, jumping around, that time jumped from the sofa, made an aerial twist and landed badly, that we all heard a snap.
My initial reaction was putting both of my hands over my mouth and was in total shock. My husband who had his first aid seminar a few months back, responded quickly, Kathrin started to panic and wanted motherly comfort and care kept calling my name. After hearing her, I snapped out of my shock, and rushed to her side.
As a mom, you will always know, when there is something wrong. So when Kathrin's acted strangely and and for some reasons, wanted to suddenly sleep and kept apologizing, you know, there is something really wrong. I went to get the ice packs, put them on her leg and told my husband to call for an ambulance immediately. Truly being a mom changed me completly.  I snapped out of my shock zone, (I react so slow in most situations), checked my daughter, looked for signals and just function.
The paramedics came, who are very calm and funny, made it easier for Kathrin to calm down. They put some bandages on a penguin stuff toy and asked Kathrin to give it a name, to which she responded...Pee-pee for penguin. They stay with her until Michael and K are settled inside the ER. I patiently waited her at home, since we have Rieki.
Taken inside the ER
01.01.2016













Kathrin was released the next day and the recovery begins. The 1st 3 weeks was exhausting, we all have to be careful placing her leg in a position she wanted. More challenging was telling Rieki not to sit on her Ate's lap (*Ate -- tagalog for sister with respect ). That was not easy!
K's classroom is located on the 1st floor, and toilet is on the basement. I have to check on Kathrin during breaktimes, to ask, if she needs to go to the toilet. And in order for me to be able to do that, I have to perfectly time everything, so I can leave my younger daughter, who takes short naps, to check on Kathrin. Although the kids in school are super helpful, we decided to take no risk, not letting other kids bring/accompany her down the basement in case she needs to pee.
She is allowed to choose one classmate to stay with her during breaktimes, learning her lesson this time, she opted to stay in her classroom, to avoid futher accidents. I guess, she is secretly enjoying having a friend all by herself. 

It is the same thing with picking her up after school, our house is just a 3-minute walk to her school, nevertheless I have to take the wheelchair, wait before their classroom door, carry her bag and assist her going down the stairs and push her home. Of course, you can imagine.












I gained empathy, better yet  great respect to parents who have physically-impaired children. It is no joke, the exhaustion, the adjustment, the time-management with 2 kids.
Despite the exhaustion,  I am grateful for the gift of life--(yes it is just the shinbone, not her life threatening, or someone being paralyzed), astounished to see the kids at school, being to so helpful, opening doors for us, paving way to give us more space while walking aling the corridors,  asking Kathrin--what happened, how is she doing, encouraging words, self made cards or note cards etc.  I am definitely a richer person after this experience. (Thanks Kuya Melvin and Em-em for the emotional boost)
Tomorrow is her big day. The cast would be removed and we are keeping out fingers crossed, that after her reha-therapy, we can finally leave this chapter behind us.

No comments:

Post a Comment